A walk through the history
Energetika Ljubljana, d.o.o., as we know it today, was founded in 1981 after two companies producing energy merged their activities and know-how; until then, the distribution of gas was in the domain of Plinarna, while Komunalna Energetika Ljubljana supplied hot water to the town.
19th century: 1861 – The first street lamp using gas
In the 1860s, construction of the railway line to Ljubljana was completed and the town thereby became an important part of trade routes. The idea that the "town candle lighting" could be replaced by a stronger light was one of the outcomes of development. Gas appeared in the lives of Ljubljana’s townspeople for the first time on 9 November 1861 in the form of gas lamps that lit up the dark streets.
20th century: A century of changes
The usefulness of gas was proven in many spheres of life: first for public lighting and then for cooking and heating in households, workshops and factories.
The technology changed considerably:
- first the gas was produced in retort furnaces using dry wood distillation and, after 1903, from coal;
- in 1932 retort furnaces were replaced by chamber furnaces;
- after 1961 the new gas production technology was introduced (thermo-catalytic splitting of liquefied petroleum gas); the design of gas appliances also changed in line with the supply and their usefulness. The exhibition in the Gas Museum offers a good insight into this period of time;
- in 1979 Ljubljana was supplied with natural gas for the first time – in that period the expansion of the gas supply system in Ljubljana and its surroundings started;
- at the end of 1990 the last customer switched from town gas to natural gas;
- in 1961 a new heating method was introduced, besides the new gas production technology:
- in 1961 the old city thermal power plant located at Slomškova Street was reconstructed into a boiler house and started supplying energy to its nearest facility – the school;
- in 1966 the heating plant Toplarna Ljubljana started operating in Moste, followed by the heating plant Toplarna Šiška;
- in 1968 steam production began in Toplarna Ljubljana;
- in 1973 steam production also started in Toplarna Šiška. This energy source was mainly used for industrial plants and the Ljubljana hospital;
- in 1974 the companies Plinarna and Komunalna energetika Ljubljana (a dislocated unit of Toplarna Ljubljana) merged their work processes;
- in 1981 the energy activities that were until then organised in Komunalna Energetika, Plinarna and Butan Plin (all TOZD organisations) merged to form DO Energetika. DO Energetika was entered in the companies register the following year;
- the company acquired its current organisational form and legal status in 1991 by merging all of its activities. Thus, the era of the public company Javno podjetje Energetika Ljubljana began;
- in 1994 other public companies and Energetika Ljubljana established Mestni Holding Ljubljana (presently Javni Holding Ljubljana).